10 Warning Signs of Leaking Roof
How to fix leaking roof. Prevent and save on roof repair costs.
Leaking Roof Danger Signs
Identifying problems with your roof in time to prevent water damage can save money. Early intervention can be the difference between repairing your roof and replacing your roof.
Signs of an Impending Leaking Roof
- Missing or torn shingles expose the roof to water damage and rot.
- Rusted or missing flashing can result in a leaking roof.
- Check gutters, downspouts and splash pans for evidence of decay or damage.
- Indoors, look for discoloured plasterboard or cracked paint and peeling wallpaper.
- You see algae and mold on your roof, mostly caused in warm environment.
- Drying and cracking signs on the roof tiles.
- Missing shingles that is caused by storm and strong winds.
- Rotting signs on roof.
- Ceiling and roof has spots like water stains.
- Water stain spots under the roof line outdoors.
Replace a Roof without Removing the Roof
Putting a new roof down on top of the old one is always cheaper, but often doesn’t last as long. More than two roof layers can cause the whole thing to become heavy and the sub-layers may end up rotting.
Removing and Replacing the Roof
Sometimes the old roof has to be removed. When this happens there’s a chance the roof deck will have started to settle or will show signs of rot – this needs repairing. High quality roofing material and proper installation should give you a new roof that will last half a century. If you don’t have the budget, consider financing the project through home equity.